Social networking services (SNS) are meant to build social networks or social relations among people. It is possible to connect people and share interests and activities across political, economic, and geographic borders through web based social networking services. Social networking industry is growing day by day with population. Here are some unbelievable facts
• 96% of 18-35 year olds are on any of one social network site
• YouTube is the second largest social networking site after face book, where 1 in 4 Americans watches a video online everyday
• If Face book is a Country, it would be the world’s 3rd largest country after china & India with 640+ million users which is 2x size of US Population
• During an average period of 20 minutes in 2010 there were 5,870,000 wall posts, 2,716,000 photos uploaded, 10,208,000 comments were posted in Face Book
• Yahoo’s social networking site Flickr is going towards 7 billion images online by end of 2012
SNS connects people & merges corners of world, and develops foster and virtual relationships. By the same way it can pose a threat to lonely users, vulnerable or technologically naive.
In-depth case studies of patients by Dr. Nitzan which was published in Israel Journal of Psychiatry and Related Sciences internet communications BY SNS can induce psychotic episodes.
Dr. Nitzan explained that patients may develop psychotic symptoms with respect to response of the person behind the screen. These psychotic symptoms may result delusion.
Continuing to that Dr. Nitzan also highlighted the lack of emotional maturity, “As there is a lack of eye-to -eye/ face-to face contact during the conversation, it will be a challenge often to know if a comment is serious or a joke.”
It was also reported officially that there are 2400+ child abuse cases through Face book between August 2010 and October 2011 in UK however Face book officials reported that they are not aware of the matter.
Besides the above, Social Media was also proved more time consuming (Most of times wasting) & showed negative influence on worker productivity of the employees.
So, be aware. Use Social networking services in the safest and most healthy possible ways.